I would also suggest using MolProbity to assess structure quality.

Best,

Nadir

Pr. Nadir T. Mrabet
Structural&  Molecular Biochemistry
Nutrigenex - INSERM U-954
Nancy University, School of Medicine
9, Avenue de la Foret de Haye, BP 184
54505 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex
France
Phone: +33 (0)3.83.68.32.73
Fax:   +33 (0)3.83.68.32.79
E-mail: Nadir.Mrabet<at>  medecine.uhp-nancy.fr

On 01/12/2011 16:34, Katherine Sippel wrote:
For drawing a 2D fold topology I'd suggest TopDraw (http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/html/topdraw.html). To see if you structure looks like other structures I'd look at the DALI server (http://ekhidna.biocenter.helsinki.fi/dali_server/). Dali is pretty good for digging out results/discussion fodder because it gives you another structure(s) to compare. PISA would be my suggestion for roughly identifying any oligimerization though it's best to back those claims up with experimental data. If you've got ligands bound Gerard Kleywegt and the PDBe staff have put together a lovely means of searching and representing motifs which is also useful for comparative purposes (http://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe-site/pdbemotif/). There are a panoply of good figure generating softwares available but my personal preference is Pymol for it's flexibility, comprehensive wiki, and supportive users groups (http://www.pymol.org/).

If your just looking for a description of what to put into a results and discussion section for a new structure you might try browsing through the Acta Cryst D archives for some good examples.

Hope this helps,

Katherine