On Wednesday, 21 December 2011, Paul Kraft wrote:
> hello,
> I'm considering upgrading my linux software from CENTOS5 to perhaps Fedora or
> UBUNTO. Does anyone have an opinion about the best linux version to upgrade
> to for not only CCP4 but also for general robustness and for the best
> standard apps..Thanks

Well, since you ask...

My preference is for Mandriva, followed by Suse.
IMHO neither Fedora nor RHEL (of which CENTOS is a clone) are as
suitable "right out of the box" for use either at home or in the
lab.  We (lab scientists) are just not in their target audience,
so their packaging and configuration defaults are not the best
for our use.  Oh, and I much prefer a KDE desktop, which is only
an afterthought at best in the distros you mention.

        Ethan