From: "Katherine Sippel" <katherine.sip...@gmail.com>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:01:10 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [ccp4bb] Metal won't strip from IMAC

Hi all,

I've run into a bit of a protein purification conundrum and wondered if anyone
had encountered a similar situation. I've exercised all of my google-fu and
can't find anything. It's a fairly straightforward setup; His-tagged protein
and Talon Co2+ resin, load lysate, wash with 5 mM imidazole, elute with 150 mM
imidazole. There is protein in the elution fractions as would be expected. The
strangeness occurs when I try to regenerate the column. Using the standard
protocol of 25 mM MES, 100 mM NaCl pH 5 doesn't change the color of the resin
back to light pink the way it should with a regenerated column. I try stripping
with the suggested 0.2M EDTA, still pink, 0.5M EDTA, still pink, 8 M urea plus
4% CHAPS and then EDTA, still pink, 1 M NaOH then EDTA, still pink. I've
checked the resin using a Western (with a really specific monoclonal Ab) and it
seems that my protein has somehow irreversibly bound to the column and is
preventing the metal from releasing the sepharose. I've even tried competing
the protein off with excess Co2+ and Mg2+ (the endogenous divalent bound
cation).

Clearly the solution is swapping to a Ni column, but this is really bugging me
now. Has anyone run into this problem with IMAC before?

Background: The protein does bind divalent cations (Mg and Mn) with low
affinity (~1 mM) and has a ridiculous number of cysteines (10 in 416 residues
total). There is 1 mM BME and 1 mM MgCl2 in all of the buffers.

Thanks,

Katherine

--
Michael C. Thompson

Graduate Student

Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Division

Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry

University of California, Los Angeles

mi...@chem.ucla.edu