Dear all

Perhaps a bit off of theme, just an example about resolution cut-off

mean I/sigma(I) = 2 for dmin = 3.35 A

(please have a look at the attached pdf)

I would trust in I/s(I) = 2 (in this case it worked), but why not to determine what is information after the model has been refined to some extent using lower I/s(I) and then cutting the resolution by 0.05-0.1 A?

Delta R and (from procheck) Avg-G factors did well. Note that Rfree improved by using data from higher resolution.

Perhaps if Rmeas or Rpim were bad at that resolution (3.35 A) the story would be different.

Best regards,

Horacio

Quoting John R Helliwell <jrhelliw...@gmail.com>:

Dear Jacob,
As an editor I am always mindful that an article is finally under the
authors' names. That said the reader always deserves to know at what
diffraction resolution average intensities (cease to) exist. The usual
statistical practice to do that is to use a given quantity's (ie in
this case a reflection intensity) sigma.

Good effort is made in data processing programs to protect the quality
of the estimate of each reflection intensity's sigma notably the chi
square test.

Thus I request that the diffraction resolution where <I/sig(I)>
crosses 2.0 is quoted in the article, if it is not there already. I
agree that 2.0 is arbitrary but it is more 'lenient' than the usual
'3sigma' statistical test.

Sometimes the title or abstract has to be changed to follow this
criterion; eg 'The structure of xxx is determined to 2.4 Angstrom
resolution' type of title has to be consistent with the above
criterion.

I do not follow an 'Rmerge must be less than x% rule'.

I think the above follows reasonable general statistical practice,
whilst permitting authors reasonable freedom, and also protects the
(more innocent) readers of articles.

I am aware that the 'correlation coefficient' between randomly
portioned parts of data sets is being increasingly discussed, this
parameter also having general statistical validity. I am monitoring
discussion on this carefully. It has long been a good way of assessing
the statistical quality of anomalous differences for example; to my
knowledge introduced by Michael Rossmann many years ago.

Best wishes,
John

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Jacob Keller