Our most common problem is an incorrect beam center.  The crystal we collect most frequently has large cell dimensions, so if the beam center is off even a bit it will bollix up the indexing.  What we usually do at the synchrotron is look for a refined beam center from the group there before us.  That has been our secret to success on a number of occasions.

Nic out