Dear BB,

Apologies for being mildly off topic.
Maybe.

 1.  We are trying to express (in E. coli) a protein which appears to be quite
sensitive to mechanical disruption. We have ordered some B-PER (Pierce - "B-PER
Bacterial Protein Extraction Reagents are designed to extract soluble protein
from bacterial cells without harsh chemicals or mechanical procedures like
sonication"), but would like to try a variety of similar things if possible.
Any advice from the community out there? Anybody know what goes into B-PER or
similar things (I know there's some Dnase and lysosyme in there – but which
detergents are compatible with Ni, GST, how much do you need etc)??
 2.  Staining SDS gels. There are various concerns from lab members about
safety re methanol in stains, microwaving stains etc etc. "Instant Blue" claims
to have none of these problems.  Quote: "Protein gel staining takes around 15
minutes without the need to wash, fix, microwave or destain". But again, I'd
like to try things to see if they work for us (before spending cash - yes, I am
spending averse…!). Anybody any suggestions for quick, non-fix, non-methanol,
non-microwave, non–destain protein gel stains? Have tried home made colloidal
coomassie but our protocol still requires fixes and washes that made it not
really worth while.

Happy to collate thoughts on replies offline and post summary.

Many thanks
Ed

T.A.Edwards Ph.D.
Deputy Director Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology
Lecturer in Biochemistry
Garstang 8.53d
University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT
Telephone: 0113 343 3031
http://www.bmb.leeds.ac.uk/staff/tae/
-- No one should approach the temple of science with the soul of a money
changer.  ~Thomas Browne