If I recall correctly cytochrome oxidase, which I believe was
the first protein purified with DDM, requires about 10x cmc
in column buffers to keep it soluble. Check for papers from 1970's or 80's
by S. Ferguson-Miller.

Cytochrme bc1 complex, on the other hand, is perfectly clear in 1 cmc
and can be diluted from that into detergent-free buffer for
spectroscopywithout becoming turbid, at least within an huor.

My rule of thumb for solubilizing with DDM is 1 g/g protein (+ 1 cmc).
If protein is say 10-20 g./l, the (+ 1 cmc) becomes completely insignificant.
(Total protein, not the protein of interest. Probably depends on the
amount of lipid too, but this is just a rule of thumb to start with.)

eab

Katarzyna Rudzka wrote:
Hi All,
Has anyone had any luck purifying membrane proteins with DDM
(n-dodecyl-D-maltoside) using concentration of detergent ~1-2 x CMC ?
(Its CMC is very low: 0.009%). I would like to keep it as low as
possible, so I don't have too much DDM around when I get to the
crystallization step. I wonder If the amount of detergent sufficient for
the protein extraction has to be determined experimentally for each
protein or maybe there are some good rules of thumb. I appreciate your
help. Thanks.
Kasia

Katarzyna Rudzka, Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Biophysics and Biophysical Chemistry
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine
Baltimore, Maryland 21205 USA