Hi Matt,

This doesn't really answer your question directly, but sidesteps
around the issue -
I wrote a little something on this exact subject not so long ago -
http://xtaldave.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/on-protein-crystallisation/
(You can ignore the first 5 paragraphs of intro - it was written with
a lay audience in mind)

Basically, I setup fine gradient screens in deep well blocks by
titrating stock solutions across a row - which I can then put straight
into use with our Phoenix crystallisation robot. In most situations I
would hope to get decent diffracting crystals from a standard 3-well
intelliplate setup this way.

HTH

Dave
============================
David C. Briggs PhD
Father, Structural Biologist and Sceptic
University of Manchester E-mail:
david.c.bri...@manchester.ac.uk
Webs : http://flavors.me/xtaldave
Twitter: @xtaldave