From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Florian
Schmitzberger
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:07 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Substitution to glycerol during crystallogenesis

Dear Toby,

I don't think there is a basic problem using glycerol in crystallization.
Glycerol will affect the vapour pressure (if it is not present in the
well/precipitant solution) and 10 % glycerol is ~ 1.3 molar concentration.
During equilibration the drops may increase in volume, decreasing the protein
concentration. Thus, when using glycerol I think it is generally beneficial to
start with a high protein concentration. Perhaps, you can concentrate your
protein sample further.

I have on several occasions observed immediate precipitation upon mixing
protein solution (containing glycerol) and precipitant solution; drops then
cleared up after a short period of time (and crystals eventually formed). In
this case, the crystallization experiment starts in the supersaturated zone,
and "moves" towards an undersaturated concentration, traversing the
(metastable) zone where nucleation and crystallization can happen (rather than
the other way around, which seems the more traditional approach with
crystallization by vapour diffusion).

Enrico Stura published a recent article, describing an effect of glycerol on
crystallization. Vera,L., Czarny, B., Georgiadis, D., Dive, V., Stura, E.A.
(2011) Practical Use of Glycerol in Protein Crystallization. Cryst. Growth &
Des. 11 :2755-2762. "

You could replace glycerol with ethylenglycol or a small molecular weight PEG
(e.g. 400), which may also have a stabilizing effect on your complex.

Regards,

Florian