On Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:48:16 am Oliver Smart wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2012, Ethan Merritt wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, April 05, 2012 09:30:25 am Phil Jeffrey wrote:
> >> Fc doesn't contain the weighting scheme used in the creation of the map
> >> coefficients, so Fc would require some sort of program to be run to
> >> recreate those for both 2Fo-Fc and Fo-Fc maps.
> >
> > The viewers I am familiar with do this for themselves on the fly.
> > No need to involve additional programs. In fact, generating and storing
> > map coefficients is not part of my work flow, since none of the programs
> > I normally use need them to be pre-calculated.
> >

> Ethan,
>
> If you load a mtz file from refmac or BUSTER then this file contains Map
> Coefficients. Different programs and protocols produce different maps.

I am bowing out of this discussion with apologies for any confusion that
I caused.

I have realized that there may be a generational difference in
understanding the term "map coefficient" (or else my poor brain is just
not functioning as well as it ought to).  I thought that the proposal was
to require depositing the equivalent of a ccp4 *.map file, i.e. the
real-space side of the Fourier transform.  I see now that people are
using "map coefficient" to mean "weighted F", which was not what I originally
understood.

    please carry on!

            Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg