I don't see how a self rotation function can determine SG. If you processed data as P1 then found the SR maps showed 3 folds and 2 folds you might suspect that POINT GROUP!!! (Remember space groups are guessed on the basis of systematic absences - you don't really know that till you have a structure solution)

At the integration stage it is important to choose a crystal class - e.g. trigonal with a=b and gamma = 120 The point groups then may be P3 P312 P321 P6 P6/mmm

After integration a program like pointless checks for symmetry agreement. eg do h k l k (-h-k),l and -h-k,h,l agree well? In that case you probably have 3 fold symmetry.

And so on for other possible symmetry operators..

After that you can probably be confident of your point group.

But as Clemens pointed out - there are different equally possible indexing conventions for some of these choices. You need to check pass 2 against pass 1, etc - see pointless GUI Eleanor