Dear Gerard,

   No, the updated model (4BCL) was published in 1993 (although apparently
not deposited until 1998 - What was wrong with me?)  Both were refined
with that classic least-squares program TNT.  I hope there was some
improvement in the software between 1986 and 1993, and I always tried to
work with the most recent version, but there wasn't a switch in target
function.

   I agree that the distortions in these maps would have been less if
an ML approach had been used and perhaps the location of the "disordered"
residues would have been apparent earlier in the process.   Maybe this
sort of problem will not be seen again at 1.9 A resolution.  My goal was
simply to provide an example where errors due to model phases didn't
distribute evenly throughout the map but had greater consequence in some
locations.

Dale