Dear Allister Crow,

in cases like these, I would recommend to apply the Babinet bulk solvent correction instead of the mask bulk solvent correction as a control (Refmac5 -> Scaling -> Use Babinet scaling; uncheck "Calculcate the contribution from the solvent region"). The Babinet bulk solvent correction only uses two overall scaling factors and is usually simple, robust and, in my experience, does not show any local difference density artefacts. The mask bulk solvent correction is more powerful, but, depending on the project and the various mask radii for generating and shrinking the mask, could produce false positive or negative difference density. To exclude these cases, you can always calculate the Babinet bulk solvent correction as a control.

Best regards,

Dirk.