> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM, David Gallagher <dt...@mrc-mbu.cam.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>> I've been using a Belle technologies anaerobic glovebox with in built
>> microscope and liquid nitrogen dewar port [...]
>>  plunging loops straight into vials preloaded into an ESRF puck

why, why, why, and why?

>> [...] This requires more care than what I would
>> ordinarily do [...] perhaps leading to icing.  [...]  the dewar can only be
>> reached by my right hand [..]
>> the microscope is in the way!
>> advice as to how I can overcome this problem [...] of icing?

glove-box specific suggestions (plus combination thereof) in addition
to standard cryo tips:

move the microscope out of the way
adapt scope appropriately
get another microscope
practice using your left hand
use a larger crystal-containing drop and loop you can see without a microscope
try a smaller hemispherical dewar
move scope into the bigger area (I looked at http://www.belletechnology.co.uk/ )
nix the pucks
use capillary-mount - frozen if possible (e.g.
http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0021889801003697)
use a vinyl Coy chamber which allows overall flexibility.

-Bryan