I think that anything that irrevocably modifies the experimental data should be avoided whenever possible. Since anisotropic scaling is a relatively fast calculation and there are several ways of doing it, it is better to apply it locally when it is needed, e.g. in phasing (where it is applied by phaser and shelxe etc.) and refinement (with refmac or phenix_refine etc.). Provided that the standard deviations of the observed intensities are properly taken into account, anisotropic data truncation is not so important (i.e. as usual I agree with Garib and Phil).

George