El 25/04/12 17:54, Michael Murphy escribió:
> I am trying to install Coot on a laptop that runs Ubuntu. Following the
> instructions on the CCp4wiki
> http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/ccp4wiki/index.php/Coot#Packages_for_Ubuntu
>

>  sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com
> <http://keyserver.ubuntu.com> --recv-keys 1DC81A57
>  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mok0/ppa
> apt-get update && apt-get install coot <- I had to add "sudo" to the
> beginning of this command and after the &&
>

> and I received this fail message
>
> "Package coot is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'coot' has no installation candidate"
>

> is there some other name/link for the package other than the word "coot"
> or do I need to install it by some other method other than what I have
> been doing?

Hi Michael,

Just this weekend I installed coot on a similar computer. It's an Ubuntu
11.10 (oneiric ocelot) at 64bit. I had no much problem installing it
using Paul's autobuild script
(http://www.biop.ox.ac.uk/coot/software/build-script/build-install-coot-from-scratch)
after a couple of tweaks of that script and of the one that this script
downloads (so you may download both manually, apply de patches and
comment the if/fi lines in the first script). The tweaks are included as
diff files in the attached file.

The only other thing I had to do was to install guile-1.8 and
guile-1.8-dev from the Ubuntu repositories. Anything else compiled just
fine with Paul's script.

Good luck,

--
Miguel

Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques (UMR6098)
CNRS, Universités d'Aix-Marseille I & II
Case 932, 163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille cedex 9, France
Tel: +33(0) 491 82 55 93
Fax: +33(0) 491 26 67 20
mailto:miguel.ortiz-lombar...@afmb.univ-mrs.fr
http://w2.afmb.univ-mrs.fr/Miguel-Ortiz-Lombardia