Seems to me that if you really do have a little magnet inside your ferritin you would expect the protein crystal to behave like a "spin glass". Spin glasses are a classic homework problem in statistical thermodynamics that makes most students question their choice of major. However, invoking them is also a good way to impress physicists and get you beam time. The most bizzare thing about spin glasses is that they can actually have negative temperatures, but I digress.

In a nutshell: Any "ordering up" of the little magnetite nanocrystal orientations must not just work against "entropy", but also against the magnetic fields of all its neighbors. If they were all aligned (ordered) then each magnet is oriented the "wrong way" in a massive field generated by all the other magnets, so there is a very strong incentive for each of them to turn over. But then once a lot of them have randomly turned over the situation gets a lot more complicated. Ideally, the lowest-energy state is where the magnets exactly alternate: up, down, up, down, up, down all the way through the crystal. However, in reality there is essentially no pathway for the magnets to "find" this orientation, so they never do. The system is "frustrated" (and yes, that is the official term).

So, in a way, you have a lot of reasons to expect that the iron core of the ferritin will be "disordered", but you should be able to perturb this "disorder" with a strong enough magnetic field. Not sure how strong you need, but there will also be a temperature where the magnets cannot rotate anymore, so perhaps plunge-cooling into the liquid helium inside a superconducting magnet is what you want to "shoot for". But, then again, it could be as simple as exposing a crystal to a relatively "weak" magnetic field at a temperature just above the glass transition of whatever shares the lumen of the ferritin sphere with the nanocrystal. Probably somewhere around 130 to 160 K. Warkentin & Thorne (2009) presented a potentially general way of holding a protein crystal at any temperature you want between 100 and 300K: http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0021889809023553

-James Holton
MAD Scientist