Hello All,

I would like to discuss symmetry axes, but I'm not sure what the notation
convention is. For example, I'd like to say something about a 2(1) along the
x-axis, but the phrase "the 2(1) symmetry axis along x" is a bit cumbersome to
repeat many times or to put in a table. So I'd like a shorthand, maybe
something like "x(2_1)" (where the preceding "_" means that the "1" is
subscript. Another way I like is "x_{2(1)}" (where the curly braces mean that
all of "2(1)" is subscript).

Does anyone know what the convention is or if there is one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

James