Bosch, Juergen wrote:
Dear CCP4 community,
what's the general opinion regarding sharing old published data sets ?
Would you be offended if I asked you for your raw images from say a 5-10 year
old structure ?
And then the more tricky question, what if I find something you overlooked and
I would perhaps be able to use that information ?

(my 2 cents worth)
Sounds like grounds for co-authorship - doesn't need to be an embarrassment
for the original authors - "further refinement of structure 1xyz revealed
important
details regarding the . . ."
It's not unusual for the original authors to discover mistakes after a structure
is published, obsolete the original structure and maybe even get another
publication.
(of course you would have to deposit the data this time)

Any suggestions and advice are welcome on or off board.

Thanks,

Jürgen

Jürgen Bosch
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Department of Biochemistry&  Molecular Biology
Johns Hopkins Malaria Research Institute
615 North Wolfe Street, W8708
Baltimore, MD 21205
Phone: +1-410-614-4742
Lab:      +1-410-614-4894