If there is such a quirk then it's not one we know about. We would definitely
appreciate being sent whatever is needed to reproduce the behaviour.

Dimers in orthorhombic space groups can lead to translational NCS, which is
handled much better in the latest versions of Phaser. Is it possible Phaser was
updated between the two attempts?

Best wishes

Randy Read