From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Roger
Rowlett
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:42 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Protein concentration vs Molecular wt...

This is almost exactly our basic approach, too. Before we got a dropsetter, we
did 24 wells (1/2 screen) to get a feel for the correct protein concentration.
Some additional rules of thumb we use:

  1.  We usually start at 10 mg/mL protein and go up or down from there
depending on the results of the initial screen
  2.  If we observe a high frequency of precipitation in a 10 mg/mL protein
screen, we will usually set a 1/2 concentration screen by diluting the screen
solutions 1:1 with water. This frequently uncovers additional hits in wells
that were heavily precipitated in the original screen. Empirically, proteins we
study seem to crystallize better in the higher protein/lower precipitant zone
of the phase diagram than the lower protein/higher precipitant zone. YMMV.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor