Hi Andreas,

In your case, it sounds like a reasonable strategy would be to use external
restraints for a few rounds of refinement (as you have done), but then release
them and instead use jelly-body restraints. This two-stage process will help to
initially hold your model in a sensible conformation using external restraints,
but then gently release the structure in order to reduce further bias in later
rounds. The immediate subsequent use of jelly-body restraints after external
restraints will ensure that the model won't deviate too far from that sensible
conformation, unless the data suggests otherwise.

Of course, if certain regions lose their sensible conformations in subsequent
rounds of refinement, you can continue to use external restraints just in these
regions.

> I substantially rebuilt a surface loop that I don't want to restrain by the
> model.

In this case, I would recommend re-generating the external restraints, this
time telling ProSMART not to generate restraints for these particular
residues/regions. This can be done using the -restrain and -restrain_rm
keywords, as described in the documentation (let me know off-board if you want
help with this).

If you enable map sharpening then the single output MTZ file should be the
sharpened map… I'm not sure why you are finding that the map is not displayed…
do you see any difference between enabling/disabling map sharpening?

Cheers,
Rob