Dear Israel,

I wonder why you do not see anything in your Fo-Fc (mFo-DFc?) maps,
since the limit for a (n+1) * mFo - n * DFc map, when n approaches
inifinity, is the mFo-DFc difference map. There is nothing wrong in
going further like with 4mFo-3DFc maps, but you should bear in mind that
they are becoming more and more difference map-like and less and less
regular maps.

What I think is happening is that since you added your ribosomal factor
to preformed crystals, you have incomplete occupancy, say the factor
bound only to 50% or less of the ribosomes. This means that you have to
go down in contour level from the 3 sigma which is the default for
difference maps to maybe 1.5 or even 1 sigma. If the factor is bound
indeed at lower level you will see relatively nice density, if nothing
is there, you will see only noise.

To prove a conformational change at a single residue, I would just leave
it out and refine. Since the refinement program has no reason to bias
either conformation, the result should be unbiased. However, in the case
of partial occupancy, the resulting map will be a superposition of both
conformations. Also to reduce model bias, you might want to try the
Buster program.

Best regards,
Herman