For those interested, I think I'll go for Chimera and its support for .bild files.

And that will be the end of this not so much xtal-related topic. ;)
Sorry for the noise.

Regards,
F.

On 10/29/2012 09:47 AM, Francois Berenger wrote:
On 10/27/2012 05:32 AM, Pete Meyer wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why use PDB format instead of converting PDB into
a format readable by a more general 3d graphics program and combining
with your cube/sphere/line segment there?

I want to interact with the scene.
Rotate, view, zoom, change protein representation, etc.
So, if I go for some pymol-supported format,
I will do all my visual inspection in pymol.

Pete

Francois Berenger wrote:
Hello,

For some new project, I'd like to be able to generate things
and store them in PDB format.

For example, a triangle, a line segment, a square,
a cube, a sphere, an arrow, etc.
Being able to change the color and "line width" would be nice.

Is there some official recommended way of doing this?

Is there some software able to read and display such
graphical annotations of PDB files?
I'll also need the format description in that case.

I want to be able to process a PDB file and store the result
of my processing in the same PDB file as some kind of annotation.

My current way of doing this is to discretize my objects as H atoms
in some other output PDB file, but that's just a temporary workaround.

My current search got me this:
http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/eccc1/
So, maybe there is some support for what I am looking for into
Chimera.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,
Francois.

.color white