Dear all,

I have two isomorphous crystals of the same protein. One crystal, let's
call it 'derivative', was soaked with 10 mM CoCl2 whereas the other, let's
call it 'original', was not. Both crystals were otherwise grown under
identical conditions (see below) and treated the same. In the derivative,
I see some puzzling electron density which I do not see in the original
(find two pictures under the links below; the waters in the figures are
just put in for your convenience, they were no part of the refinement).
The density forms a planar hexagon of spheres with another sphere in the
exact center. The distance from corner to corner is about 3.0 A but
varies. The distance from one corner to the center is about 3.1 A. The
hexagon is almost symmetrical as the angles enclosed by two edges are
about 120° each. This density shows up at two positions, once located
between two aspartate residues and once between an aspartate and a
tyrosine residue. These are, however, no special postions. It seems
obvious that this density is caused by the presence of Co(II) since it
only shows up in the derivative and also coincides with peaks in the
difference fourier map. I am unable to interpret it in a way that makes
sense. Could anyone of you help me figure out what to build in there?

Crystallization condition for both original and derivative was 200 mM
Tris pH 8.8, 200 mM NaCl, 21% PEG 6000, 20% glycerol.

The high-resolution limit of the dataset is 2.0 A. Data were collected at
lambda=0.981 A. Anomalous data were collected at Co peak wavelength (weak
SigAno but good enough for difference fourier map).

links:

http://imageshack.us/a/img89/9376/unknowndensity1q.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img696/7135/unknowndensity2.png

Thank you in advance!

Joern

Address:

Joern Krausze
Molecular Structural Biology
Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research
Inhoffenstrasse 7
38124 Braunschweig
Germany

Email:  joern.krau...@helmholtz-hzi.de
Phone:  +49 (0)531 6181 7023 (office)
        +49 (0)531 6181 7020 (lab)

________________________________

Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH | Inhoffenstraße 7 | 38124
Braunschweig | www.helmholtz-hzi.de

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: MinDir’in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe,
Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung
Stellvertreter: Rüdiger Eichel, Abteilungsleiter Niedersächsisches Ministerium
für Wissenschaft und Kultur
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Dirk Heinz; Ulf Richter, MBA
Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung (GmbH)
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Braunschweig
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Braunschweig, HRB 477