Dear Rana,

I think you need to clear up some confusion about this experiment.  MBP fusions
suffer from a number of drawbacks depending on what you are doing.  First, did
you use the MPB domain to purify the fusion protein (with an amylose column)?
If so, you also purified native MBP from the E. coli as well (and there is a
good amount in the periplasm).  Therefore you should expect to see MBP before
and after TEV cleavage, regardless of whether you have a fusion or not.
Second, did you see the MBP fusion on SDS PAGE, particularly on Westerns with
anti-MBP?  Depending on your answers, we can troubleshoot your situation.

The MBP fusion vectors we have made incorporate an N-terminal His tag, followed
by MBP and TEV, so we can purify the fusion either by Ni-chelation or amylose
column chromatography (or both).  Also we have experienced cases where, despite
our best efforts, MBP fusion either is a truncated expression fragment (mostly
MBP) or has a relatively inaccessible TEV site.  For example, does DHBx
dimerize?  This could block access to the TEV site.

But first, does the MBP-DHBx fusion exist and did you purify the fusion with an
amylose column?

Cheers,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com