Dear Remy and Faisal -

Just a geeky bioinformatics note: searching my local copy of the PDB (somewhat out of date), shows that 22,165 out of 72,000 structures contain a 'REMARK 470' line, which is how the PDB notes that atoms are missing from a residue. Some of these are no doubt mistakes by the depositors, but most probably reflect the decision to remove invisible side chain atoms from the coordinates (e.g. trimming back to Cbeta) while keeping the correct residue name.

I think we can all agree that virtually every structure in the PDB will have a few residues where some of the atoms are not visible in the density. So the "trim the side chains" crowd is a well-represented minority at 30%, but 70% of depositors chose another option.

I personally like to leave all atoms on the side chains; they look wrong to me when beheaded. I just try to put the invisible atoms in a stereochemically plausible conformation, leave the occupancy set to 1, and let the refinement program deal with them.

- Matt