Dear Andrew,
Re cryocooled.

Cooled?

It reminds me of James Bond where Martinis should be shaken but not stirred.
Ie Cooling sounds awfully gentle, a sort of enjoying a cool sea breeze in the
Caribbean heat. (Ian Fleming wrote his Bond novels there.)

Shock frozen is more what we are doing to our crystals, a brutal event, rather
than a cooling, even if labelled cryo cooling.

Greetings,
John

Prof John R Helliwell DSc FInstP CPhys FRSC CChem F Soc Biol.
Chair School of Chemistry, University of Manchester, Athena Swan Team.
http://www.chemistry.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/athena/index.html