To add another datapoint, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a friend's MacBook Pro (probably 2007) had a battery case open up just like that. My 17-inch MacBook Pro (2008) case is also bent in a million different ways, and I have already had to change the bottom case once (for $130, and at no labor cost, since they were also changing the fried-up video card which was recalled), as the laptop would not even close. The top case is also coming apart, but replacing that is not an option apparently, since it practically comes with the display. I change my battery frequently enough that, I guess my battery does not go up in flames.

I have always thought that the unibody design was Apple addressing these issues, but seeing what happened to those MacBook Airs just depresses me.

Engin