Hello,

What about the enantiomorphic space groups (the 4(3) screw axes instead of the 4(1) screw axes) ? These cannot be distinguised on the basis of structure factor amplitudes (unless you have an anomalous scatterer) nor on the basis of the specific extinctions (both screw axes extinguish the same reflections).

However molecular replacement distinguishes between the two. I did not see any mention of these enantiomorphic space groups in your post hence my asking... Phaser allows to test everything. The CCP4 program Pointless is also good at letting you know what is the most likely space group.

Hence you may have a combination of wrong space group and twinning. I can't really say with the information provided. I have had one case (also molecular replacement) where I had to test every single space group (a hexagonal lattice) in order to hit the correct one (that was before the days of Phaser).

Also, with molecular replacement the first thing I do is to compare the initial R-f / R-free to the R-factors that are expected for a random distribution of atoms in the asymmetric unit (from memory, ca. 0.6). Once you have refined, the numbers go down so you can't really say anything any more.

Furthermore, sometimes it is necessary to carry out the molecular replacement searches with a smaller set of atoms (for example when you are expecting to find a tetramer you carry out the searches with a dimer, or with a monomer - and sometimes you have the surprise to discover that the solvent content of your crystal is quite high and that the tetramer is formed by 2 dimers that are related by a crystallographic 2-fold axis - or the arrangement of molecules in your multimer is different from that in the search model, to sum it up: in crystallography, everything goes!).

HTH,

Fred.