Does this mean that, when placing the first (or only) copy of a model,
the score will not be elevated by presence of tNCS (Unless the model contains
domains separated by more or less exactly the distance of the tNCS vector)?
(In general, using a generic MR program that does not correct for TNS.)
So a good score at the first step is likely to be correct, even if there is
tNCS?
eab

Randy Read wrote:
Dear Yurong,

I just wanted to check that you're using an up-to-date version of Phaser, which
will account for the presence of
translational NCS (tNCS). With older versions of Phaser, you could get apparent
solutions that were incorrect but would
give a high LLG just because they satisfied the tNCS. However, even with the
current version of Phaser there's a
potential problem here. Phaser will only take account of the tNCS if you're
looking for an even number of copies (so
that it can look for pairs related by the tNCS). I'm wondering if, in your
case, the tNCS is generated in the model by
placing the heterotetramer with its internal 2-fold parallel to the 2(1) screw
axis along y. If that's the case, and
you're only looking for one copy of the heterotetramer, then I'm afraid Phaser
will ignore the tNCS. If indeed you're
only looking for one copy of the heterotetramer, could you try looking for two
copies of the half-tetramer instead (in
the new version of Phaser)? That may give a clearer indication of the true
symmetry and, if the solution is correct, the
combination of translational symmetry and the screw axis should generate a full
tetramer.

In cases like this, there's always a potential issue with twinning. I'd be
interested in seeing the logfile (off-list)
for the Phaser run, which should give an indication of whether the intensity
moments suggest twinning, once the
statistical effect of tNCS has been accounted for.

Best wishes,

Randy Read