On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 18:30:32 +0100, Joy <joybeiy...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Bryan,

Thank you very much for the comments, I have tried glycerol and it did affect the resolution, at the same time, through reading former posts, I find that sucrose might not be a good choice for crystals grown in salt, I will definitely try adding glycerol stepwise, but at the same time,

Glycerol is a solubilizer. A step wise approach will work only if as you
increase the glycerol concentration you also increase the precipitant
concentration. Be careful of salt crystals appearing as you take this path.

I am wondering if high conc. ammonium phosphate could be used as cryoprotectant, if so, I would be able to achieve dehydration and cryo at the same time.
All salts will prevent ice formation at high concentration, but some reach the crystallization point before. There is also the possibility of making a salt mixture by adding for example
ammonium formate, an excellent cryosalt.
If you try the experiment and let the BB know the result.

Enrico.

From: Prince, D Bryan [mailto:dbryan.pri...@astrazeneca.com]
Sent: 2013年1月3日 17:17
To: Joy
Subject: RE: [ccp4bb] Ammonium phosphate as cryoprotectant

Dear Joy,

I do not believe that ammonium dibasic phosphate will make a good cryosalt. I would recommend a lithium cryosalt (formate, acetate or sulfate) or glycerol if you really need to stay with the phosphate.

Hope this helps!

Bryan

  _____

Confidentiality Notice: This message is private and may contain confidential and proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system and note that you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of the contents of this message is not permitted and may be unlawful.