Thanks Eleanor, your tip has got me there. I was attempting the problem the wrong way round.

To get it to work

I had to reindex the P212121  h=-l k=k l=h
Then rigid body refinement of the P213 symmetry generated trimer dropped it to 40% and NCS refinement to around 25%

My reasoning for avoiding doing it this way round is that presumably if we deposit the P213 and the P212121 structures the wwPDB will reset to a<b<c (I seem to remember)

A quick go at trying to reverse this has not worked. Maybe the radius of convergence of a rigid body is lower in the higher symmetry space group??

For info
In P213  a=b=c 75.953
P212121 a=74.504 b=77.473 c=79.894

The SSM fit is 0.79 over virtually all Calphas for the symmetry generated trimer in P213 onto the P212121 structure

The final P213 data set is actually higher resolution (we have collected several of these at a range of resolution as we improved cryo/crystal size/sampled more crystals/cooling pathways). The P212121 was the highest at one point and has better density for some loops.

Many thanks to all who sent me hints

Nick

--
Prof Nicholas H. Keep
Executive Dean of School of Science

email     n.k...@mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Telephone 020-7631-6852  (Room G54a Office)
          020-7631-6800  (Department Office)
Fax       020-7631-6803
If you want to access me in person you have to come to the crystallography entrance
and ring me or the department office from the internal phone by the door