Hi,

to my knowledge, Ellman's reagent detects free thiols only. (Or am I wrong?) In contrast, with the method of Thannhauser (Thannhauser [1987], Methods Enzymol. 143, 115-9) you can determine the total amount of thiols (free and in disulfide bonds). Any difference between the two methods should indicate the presence of disulfide bonds, but will probably not allow for their actual quantification.

Regards,
Joern

Address:

Joern Krausze