Tris-sulfate might be acceptable for studies in the presence of magnesium ion. Na-MES is tolerable at low concentrations and shorter path lengths if a cutoff of 190-200 nm or so is acceptable. Chloride is indeed problematic in the far UV.

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor
Department of Chemistry