Hi Patrick,

Did you try using a different refinement program (e.g. Refmac)? Which type
of NCS restraints did you use, global or local (torsion- or distance-based)?
Have you tried optimizing your restraint weights? Have you tried running a
huge number of refinement cycles? You can also try running PDB_REDO (plug
plug) which will try a number of things to improve your model.

Cheers,
Robbie

I'll
> double-check wavelengths as a sanity check for scattering factors (but
> several other native data sets from the same synchrotron trip refined
> beautifully, so I suspect there's no gross boo-boos of this nature...)
>
> Charlie:  Solvent regions are pretty clean; I haven't tried any flipping
(these
> are molecular replacement models, so it didn't occur to me...). I tried
> applying NCS in one case (the smaller cell) and it had no apparent effect
on
> the refinement. The Fo-Fc map has no strong features crying out for
> interpretation. Just based on geometry and map appearance, I'd be inclined
> to say the refinement is done, were it not for the crappy R values.
>
> Phil:  I used TLS for refinement in both xtal forms; it gives a small
> improvement (0.01-0.03) in Rfree in both cases, but nothing magic. I
simply
> used one monomer/TLS group (these are ubiquitin variants, so the monomer
> itself is pretty much a little rock, without any internal domain motions).
There