Dear Gerard,
Many thanks for these useful clarifications.I see your points clearly.

Just to mention that one remark in James's posting regarding photon counting
versus read noise caught my attention. I will follow up on this ASAP , which
like fine phi slicing gets to the heart of the measurement physics.

Greetings,
John

Prof John R Helliwell DSc FInstP CPhys FRSC CChem F Soc Biol.
Chair School of Chemistry, University of Manchester, Athena Swan Team.
http://www.chemistry.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/athena/index.html

On 19 May 2013, at 21:06, Gerard Bricogne <g...@globalphasing.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> for collecting "native data" is no strategy at all, this isn't the case
>>> when
>>> collecting data for phasing. In that case one needs to go back and consider
>>> how to measure accurate differences of intensities, not just accurate
>>> intensities on their own. That is another subject, on which I was going to
>>> follow up so as to fully answer Theresa's message - but perhaps that should
>>> come in another installment!
>>>

>>>     With best wishes,
>>>
>>>          Gerard.
>>>
>>> --

>>> collection strategy using PILATUS detectors at synchrotron? Do we need to
>>> collect sweeps of high and low resolution data separately? For anomalous
>>> phasing (MAD), does the order of wavelengths used affect structure solution
>>> or limit radiation damage?

>>> --
>>>
>>> Dear Theresa,
>>>
>>>     You have had several excellent replies to your question. Perhaps I
>>> could venture to add a few more comments, remarks and suggestions, which
>>> can
>>> be summarised as follows: with a Pilatus, (1) use fine slicing, (2) use
>>> strategies combining low exposure with high multiplicity, and (3) use XDS!
>>>
>>>     As the use of Pilatus detectors has spread widely, it has been rather
>>> puzzling to come across so many instances when these detectors are misused,
>>> sometimes on the basis of explicit expert advice that is simply misguided.
>>> typical example will be to see images collected on a Pilatus 6M with an
>>> image width of 1 degree and an exposure time of 1 second. When you see
>>> this,
>>> you know that there is some erroneous thinking (or habit) behind it.
>>>
>>>     When talking to various users who have ended up with such datasets,
>>> and
>>> with people who advocate this kind of strategy, it seems clear that a
>>> number
>>> of irrational concerns about fine-slicing and
>>> low-exposure+high-multiplicity
>>> strategies have tended to override published rational arguments in favour
>>> of
>>> those strategies: there is a fear that if the images being collected do not
>>> show spots discernible by the naked eye to the resolution limit that is
>>> being aimed for, the integration software will then somehow not be able to
>>> find those spots in order to integrate them, and the final data resolution
>>> will be lower than expected. Perhaps this may be of concern in relation
>>> with
>>> the use of some integration programs, but if you use XDS, which implements
>>> full 3D approach to image integration, this is simply not the case: XDS
>>> will
>>> collect all the counts belonging to a given reflection, whether those
>>> counts
>>> are all from a spot on a single 1-degree image exposed for 1 second, or
>>> 10 consecutive images of 0.1 degree width exposed for 0.1 second each, or