On 20 June 2013 20:46, Douglas Theobald <dtheob...@brandeis.edu> wrote:

> Well, I tend to think Ian is probably right, that doing things the
> "proper" way (vs French-Wilson) will not make much of a difference in the
> end.
>
> Nevertheless, I don't think refining against the (possibly negative)
> intensities is a good solution to dealing with negative intensities ---
> that just ignores the problem, and will end up overweighting large negative
> intensities.  Wouldn't it be better to correct the negative intensities
> with FW and then refine against that?

Hmmm, I seem to recall suggesting that a while back (but there were no
takers!).

I also think that using corrected Is, as opposed to corrected Fs, (however
you choose to do it) is the right way to do twinning & other statistical
tests.  For example the Padilla/Yeates L test uses the cumulative
distribution of |I1 - I2| / (I1 + I2) where I1 & I2 are intensities of
unrelated reflections (but close in reciprocal space).  The denominator of
this expression is clearly going to have problems if you feed it negative
intensities!  Also I believe (my apologies if I'm wrong!) that the UCLA
twinning server obtains the Is by squaring the Fs (presumably obtained by
F-W).  This is a formally invalid procedure (the expectation of I is not
the square of the expectation of F).  See here for an explanation of the
difference: http://xtal.sourceforge.net/man/bayest-desc.html .

Cheers

-- Ian