On 07/09/2013 07:23 AM, Mark J van Raaij wrote:
- really the only complicated case would be where a group is covalently linked
to more than one amino acid, wouldn't it? Any case where only one covalent link
with an is present could (should?) be treated as a special amino acid, i.e.
like selenomethionine.
- groups without any covalent links to the protein are better kept separate I
would think (but I guess this is stating the obvious).

   Let's consider one of your "simple" cases.  Imagine a heterodimer
(chains alpha and beta) with a single disulfide link between the
peptides.  Do you prefer to have an alpha chain with one residue
being a CYS with an entire beta chain attached as a single residue,
or a beta chain with one residue being a CYS with an entire alpha
chain as a single residue.  Either way you are going to have trouble
fitting into the PDB format's five columns all the unique atom names
for the bloated residue. ;-)

   The problem with this kind of topic is that the molecule is what
it is and it doesn't care how we describe it.  People break the molecule
up into parts to help in their understanding of it and different
people have different needs.  Do you prefer to think of rhodopsin as
containing a LYS residue linked by a Schiff base linkage to retinal
or as having a single, monster, residue with a name you have probably
never heard of?  There is value in both representations depending
on the context.

   A really nice feature of the geometry definitions that have come
out of the Refmac community is that one can define the monster residue
in terms of the LYS-(Schiff linkage)-retinal breakdown.  What hasn't
been done is to create the software that will convert a model from one
form to the other, as the user needs.

   I think this is the direction we should go.  Instead of arguing if,
for example, the "B factor" column should contain the total isotropic
B factor or the residual B factor unfit by the overarching TLS model of
motion, the file supplied by the wwPDB should be a complete,
unambiguous, representation of the model and software should exist
that displays for the user whatever representation they want.  Then the
representation stored in the master repository would not be very
important.

Dale Tronrud

Mark J van Raaij
Lab 20B