From: CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of Horrell, Sam
Sent: Fri 7/26/2013 1:32 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Processing files from XSCALE in Aimless

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to process some data using Xia2, XSCALE, Pointless and
Aimless. I have a large number of datasets (over 100) so have used Xia2 to
produce the XDS_ASCII.HKL files using the 3daii pipeline. I now want to process
them manually (with a script) using XSCALE and pointless to find the resolution
limit and finally run them through Aimless to get the merging statistics. I'm
not looking to solve the structures just to compare the merging statistics
between datasets subjected to different treatments.

I've managed to put the the XDS_ASCII.HKL files through XSCALE and pointless
without any problems but when I try and run aimless with the output from XSCALE
in CCP4i I get the error message

"FATAL ERROR message:

ERROR in ScaleModel: run    1 has insuffient information for smooth scaling"

And when trying to run it by command line Aimless won't recognize the
XSCALE.HKL file.
I've tried converting the XDS file with XDSCONV to the ccp4 format but Aimless
still didn't like it on command line or ccp4i so I tried using sortmtz but this
just fails with a very uninformative message

"SORTMTZ: *** ERROR: Program Terminating

Times: User: 0.1s System: 0.0s Elapsed: 0:01"

The command line I've been trying to use for aimless is

"aimless hklin XSCALE.HKL hklout scaled.mtz "

Running Aimless with the XDS_ASCII.HKL from Xia2 using ccp4i works fine.

Is there a conversion step I'm missing when trying to run the XSCALE.HKL files
through Aimless?
Maybe something I've done wrong in the XDSCONV stage or I need to get sortmtz
working somehow?

Best regards,

Sam