Maybe a few remarks might help:

Ad a) R merge of 80% may be OK if I/sig for high res shell is >2.

What rationale is that statement based upon and what is the exact meaning of
this statement?

Is an Rmerge of 80% not ok when <I/sigi> is say < 1.5? Or would 80% be ok if
the <i/sigI> is 3.0?

Why should an R-merge of  80% be (too) high in the first place?

b) there is no statistical justification whatsoever for the <I/sigI> cutoff
of 2 for refinement. This has been discussed @CCP4bb multiple times, for
good reason.

In this particular case, the (in)completeness appears to be the dominating
factor.

c) as Pavel notes, the R-value improvement means nil when truncating data -
try to refine from 8 to 2 A and Rs might be even lower (abuse we engaged in
ages ago when we did not know better and no ML)

d) absolute values of refinement Rs vs (historic) expectation values cannot
be judged without complete and detailed knowledge of the refinement
protocol.

The ultimate question is whether your model improves with inclusion of more
data or not. Kay Diederichs has a few papers to this effect that make good
reading.

And CC1/2 seems to provide statistically justifiable limits for cut-off of
(reasonably complete) high resolution shells.

LG, BR