I could not resist but comment at the end ... (sorry for cleaning up the thread
text)

I agree with Roberto that the system is actually not that bad when you think of
it. Or, it could be much worse.

In my experience, the editors of many journals - professional or academic - try
very hard, and most referees make an honest effort and are objective.
Of course there are glitches to that system - but, in my experience no matter
how annoying they are (and oh yes I have been very annoyed), they are
relatively few.

Should things change in the peer review process? Surely yes. And things are
changing!!! For example:
- eLife now gets the referees to talk to each other and get a consensus report
- so one referee cannot say unreasonable things in one review
- EMBO press has many innovations awaiting
http://www.embo.org/scientific-publications/transparent-process

These said I would had liked to see similar policies implemented to the brand
new IUCrJ and other IUCr journals,
and I would have preferred it if the co-editor name in the IUCr journals would
stay unknown
(possibly revealed only at publication time, but not before a decision is made).

Best -

Tassos