Well - years ago I wrote a program called watertidy to do just this -
but it asigned waters as OH0 OH1 OH2 with a according to what atom it
was H bonded too, and those names are not now permitted..

My way now is to read in a completed homologous structure - use SSM to
fit it over the new one - extract the HOHs from structure 1 - add them
to structure 2 - do some refinement and use COOT to decide which ones
are valid - the "density fit" picture shows wonderful red bars for
wrong'uns - then add more again using coot..
Eleanor