Dear Kay,

Thank you for your remark, and sorry - I did not pay attention that Guenter
made a copy to CCP4bb.
I ment Fig. 7 and corresponding Figure caption in our old article :

Lunin, V.Y., Afonine, P. & Urzhumtsev, A.G. (2002) "Likelihood-based
refinement. 1. Irremovable model errors.". Acta Cryst., A58, 270-282.

This paper is not specifically devoted to the water analysis but has it as one
of examples.
The effect is strong since water molecules are placed somehow "systematically"
in the unit cell forming a shell following the molecular border. Obviously, the
effect of model distortion is diminished/disappears when using stereochemical
constraints but nevertheless this means that without these waters X-ray data
may push the (surface) atoms somehow in a opposite way, to fit the gap of
missed waters, and indeed MAY TRY making the model locally worse.

The Maximum Likelihood target (instead of the Least-Squares one) takes care
'statistically' of these missed waters (as well as other missed atoms) and
improves the situation but I agree that implicit including of 'riding waters'
(similar to 'riding H' atoms) may be useful - obviously, tools and their
detailed tests are required.

Have a nice Sunday (not at all sunny here today),

Sacha