Hi Ed,

you are right about the original question, but what I mean is this: if the occupancies (and B-factors) differ so much in crystals with IDENTICAL binding sites, i.e. identical affinities, does this not show that occupancies (and B-factors) do not reflect affinities alone, but equally local packing? There might be individual cases in which such effects can be neglected, but generally I think trying to determine affinities from crystal soaks is, hmm, not very good pratice, simply because there are other dedicated methods to do it that suffer less from side effects. Including the docking approach.

Kind regards, Baerbel

Quoting Ed Pozharski <epozh...@umaryland.edu>:

If I understand the original post correctly, the binding sites in
question are not chemically identical.  While it's possible that lattice
may invert the order in which sites are occupied, it is not very likely
given that affinity gap is sufficient to be observable by ITC.

Mutagenesis is a good option too.