Hi Acoot,

since they behave differently on IEX, they are different - you would introduce
heterogeneity into your crystallization setup, which usually is not a good idea
for crystallization in general.
Are you using Benzonucleases by any chance in your preparation and if not, that
may explain the different populations of your protein. Your protein may bind
some short DNA chunks carried over during your lysis process leading to
differently charged species on the IEX column. On an SDS gel these complexes
are separated and your protein runs at an identical molecular weight. An
alternative explanation would be multiple folded states that may be at
equilibrium and under certain conditions e.g. pH, salt concentration may be
pushed in one predominant species.
Also is several 2 or 10 peaks ? If you have e.g. an N-terminal His6-tag you
might end up with truncation products and say your protein is rather large e.g.
80 kDa you might not be able to see the molecular weight difference either by
SEC or SDS-PAGE if you are running a low percentage gel. A protein of 72 kDa
might look like 80 kDa but you most likely will have charge differences
distinguishable in IEX. If you have a His6-tag, run a Western on it to identify
single or multiple bands.

Good luck,

Jürgen

On Dec 14, 2013, at 7:16 AM, Acoot Brett