Dear ccp4bb contributors,

We are dealing with the problem of a protein (~ 50 kDa) that crystallises
readily, but has an annoying habit of forming highly intergrown rods or
needles.
Even when the crystals look optically homogenous under the microcsope,
diffraction is so so (3.5 Å or so on the synchrotron), but patterns reflect
several crystal lattices that the processing software cannot resolve properly.

We have tried this:

- additive screens
- switching the His-tag from N- to C-terminus
- cutting the tag
- thermal stability screens in a variety of buffers
- growth in the presence of potential ligands/substrates

Any suggestions for tricks that we haven't thought of so far?

Thank you.

Klaus

Dr. Klaus Fütterer

School of Biosciences             P: +44-(0)-121-414 5895
University of Birmingham                  F: +44-(0)-121-414 5925
Edgbaston                                      E: k.futte...@bham.ac.uk

Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK           W: http://tinyurl.com/futterer-lab