Thank you all for the suggestions. I lowered the hash-max and could get ray
tracing to complete for line or even ribbon modes (to be honest line mode
worked even without lowering the hash-max). But as Matthew pointed out, I
could not get it to work in the cartoon mode. I think I am restricted here
with my hardware limitations...
Alex