Beamtime available at CHESS, February 19 - April 1, 2014

The CHESS/MacCHESS facility, located at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, invites macromolecular crystallographers and users of BioSAXS to apply for time on one or more of our stations:

A1 station, monochromatic wiggler source, suitable for Se SAD experiments as well as native data collection, with ADSC Q-210 detector and ALS-type automounter.

F1 station, monochromatic wiggler source, suitable for Br SAD or native data, with ADSC Q-270 detector and ALS-type automounter.

G1 station, wiggler source with multilayer optics, suitable for BioSAXS experiments, equipped with dual Pilatus 100-K detectors, automated sample-handling, in-line SEC-SAXS capability; good data can be obtained over q-range 0.006 - 0.7 (1/Å) .

F3 station, bending magnet source with multilayer optics, tunable from
5.9 - 15.4 keV, suitable for SAD experiments using Fe, Co, etc., with
ADSC Q-4u detector.

===== Special options ======

Pressure-cryocooling of (unfrozen) crystals is available by
prearrangement. This method can reduce the damage induced by
cryocooling, often with no need for cryoprotectants (Kim et al., Acta
Cryst. D61, 881-890 (2005)).

Microbeam (down to about 5 microns) using focusing capillary optics is
available on request at any of the stations.

=======  Support =======

CHESS/MacCHESS provides a high level of support for all users. We are
very willing to help with non-standard experimental setups - just ask.
Our staff scientists also invite collaborations for more extended
projects investigating novel techniques.

Mail-in service is available  - we will be pleased to collect (and
process, if you like) data from crystals that you send to us. Remote data collection is available for experienced users.

======== Applying for time ========

Visit http://www.chess.cornell.edu and look at "Beam Time" under the
"Users" menu. All applications can be done on line, any time. Processing
of proposals is rapid, with a turn-around time of just a couple of weeks
for the usual Express Mode option.

More information is available on the web site, or contact administrator
Kathy Dedrick, k...@cornell.edu.