Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Im Auftrag von Tim
Gruene
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. Februar 2014 16:22
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] create a lower resolution data set by truncating a high
resolution data

Dear Blaine Mooers,

I don't think that you avoid Fourier ripples with this method. You may,
however, increase the noise level so that the Fourier ripples drown in the
noise.

You don't really generate a low resolution data set by truncation for that very
reason. Crystals that only diffract to 3.5A, say, usually do this because of a
high degree of disorder with leeds to more noise.

Of course you could add noise to the sigma-values, but this is merely cosmetics.

There are repositories for frames (JCSG?), where you might want to get real
data that diffract to the desired resolution, reprocess and then carry out the
phasing experiments.

Best,
Tim

On 02/13/2014 03:54 PM, Mooers, Blaine H.M. (HSC) wrote:
> For some simulated phasing experiments, I want to create a lower
> resolution diffraction data set by truncating a high resolution data
> set. I would like to avoid Fourier ripples due to the truncation of
> the high resolution data by downscaling the data such that
> <I/sigma>=2.0 in the highest resolution shell of the truncated data.
> What is the best way to do this?
>
> Blaine Mooers Assistant Professor Department of Biochemistry and
> Molecular Biology University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center S.L.
> Young Biomedical Research Center Rm. 466
>
> Shipping address: 975 NE 10th Street, BRC 466 Oklahoma City, OK
> 73104-5419
>
> Letter address: P.O. Box 26901, BRC 466 Oklahoma City, OK 73190
>

> office: (405) 271-8300   lab: (405) 271-8313  fax:  (405) 271-3910
> e-mail:  blaine-moo...@ouhsc.edu
>
> Faculty webpage:
> http://www.oumedicine.com/department-of-biochemistry-and-molecular-bio
> logy/faculty/blaine-mooers-ph-d-
>
>  X-ray lab webpage:
> http://www.oumedicine.com/department-of-biochemistry-and-molecular-bio
> logy/department-facilities/macromolecular-crystallography-laboratory
>
>  Small Angle Scattering webpage:
> http://www.oumedicine.com/docs/default-source/ad-biochemistry-workfile
> s/small-angle-scattering-links.html?sfvrsn=0

- --
- --
Dr Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie